Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Benefits of Cinnamon and Coffee - Loose weight!

My Mother recently just came back from a trip to California to see my Grandmother and a friend of hers was telling her all about how she started adding cinnamon to her coffee and had lost 5 pounds already in over a weeks time! Now before you get too excited, everyone's metabolism and body types/weights are different. So what might work for some may not work for others. The idea of adding cinnamon to my coffee/teas really got me thinking what types of benefits does cinnamon have that causes a person to lose weight? So, after doing some research, I came up with the reason and several other wonderful benefits of cinnamon.


- Cinnamon has an effect on blood sugar that makes it a potential help in the battle against weight, insulin resistance and the metabolic syndrome
- Cinnamon reduces blood sugar and increases insulin levels
- Reduces Bad Cholesterol while keeping the good cholesterol stable
- Boosts the Immune System while removing fatique & increasing longevity
- Treats colds & Influenza
- Helps Brain Function & Memory (this I need!)
- Helps the digestive system- removes flatulence, indigestion, soothes the tummy
- Suppresses the bacteria that causes UTI and fungus associated with yeast infections
- Natural Pain Reliever- I've personally used cinnamon for toothaches & cramps and have had instant relief, whereas tylenol or advil take a while to kick in
- Excellent source of manganese, calcium, fiber and iron
- And not to mention that adding cinnamon to coffee enhances the flavor! I am definitely sold on the cinnamon idea whether it helps me lose weight or not- the health benefits alone are enough reason to start using cinnamon.
I've also been hearing about how cinnamon and honey mixed in boiling water helps with weight loss- just Google cinnamon & honey weightloss and you will see what I mean- boil 1 cup of water and add 1/2 tsp. cinnamon powder and 1 tsp honey- drink 1 cup in the a.m. on an empty stomach and 1 cup in the p.m. I haven't tried this yet- but some people say it has helped them to lose weight. Personally, I figure it can't hurt, so why not try it? Even as I am typing, I am steeping some Yerba Mate Tea and I have my cinnamon & honey on hand! I am going to try to start having 2 cups per day and seeing if I have any positive results and I will come back and update. If you decide to try this out- let me know if it works for you!